Engagement with Children, Youth and Families
The Council has engaged widely with children, youth and families during 2016 to inform the development of a Child and Youth Plan, and review and update the Community Strategic Plan.
More than 500 people were consulted as part of this process, including primary school and high school children, young people, parents and other adults. Most of these consultations took the form of a Harwood Conversation.
Key themes identified to date through these consultations include:
- Living in a caring, connected, peaceful community;
- Safety on the street and getting around, especially on trains;
- Preserving the unique ecology of the mountains - no airport;
- Living in a tolerant, friendly, accepting community;
- Making time to meet your neighbours;
- Having safe, inclusive public spaces, with activities that are child and youth friendly but also inviting to the whole community;
- More bike tracks so kids can cycle in safety;
- More youth equipment in parks;
- Preserving what's great about the mountains; and
- Better employment and training pathways.
Thank you for your interest in this project. This consultation is now over and the final document can be accessed online at www.bmcc.nsw.gov.au.